Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Absent Minded Professor

Here's an interesting fact about Tammy you may not know:

I have always wanted to teach at the college level.

I really love teaching. No joke that I campaign for the RS teaching job in every new ward. So much for revelation in callings, I find it works great to picket outside the Bishop's office. Probably something about having all eyes on ME ME ME for 45 WHOLE minutes. :) But, I digress...

I really love teaching and I really love Social Work. Thus, when I began my Masters program in Social Work at ASU, one of my goals was to eventually use this degree to teach at a college level. Granted, I am generally limited to community colleges with only a Masters, but for me that was A-O-K.

Today I was offered a very EXCITING position to teach a beginning social work class at South Mountain Community College. Basically helping new social workers understand their role as "helpers" in the community and learning the basics of working with clients.

It is one class, every Thursday evening from 5:00-7:40 and will be at a location about 5 minutes from my house. The class size will be small and full of working professionals. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thrilled to have this opportunity!!! I feel that the Lord has blessed our little family in so many ways and this is just one of the many many many many many ways we have felt His love.

Below is a picture of the main building on campus.

I can not complete this post without publicly THANKING my little guardian angel, Sarah! She is already a teacher through South Mountain Community College. I told her I would just LOVE to teach someday and she was kind and thoughtful enough to mention my name to her boss. The boss just happened to be looking for a social work teacher and literally one day later I was in her office completing the new hire paperwork.

Had Sarah not dropped my name, I would not have this opportunity and I am FOREVER grateful to her. She is #1 in my friendship poll this week. Just try and beat her, I dare you.

GO SARAH!

Yea for fulfilled dreams! Now I have to create my syllabus from scratch and figure out what in the HECK I'm supposed to teach these students. Better get rollin'...

16 comments:

John and Laura said...

Wow! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you. I'd come take your class if I lived there.

Lana said...

CAN I TAKE YOUR CLASS!?!?! I can't think of someone I would love more to take a class from than you! This is going to be so perfect for you. I hope that it's such a great experience and that it exceeds all your hopes too! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ridiculous over-use of exclamation points is NECESSARY here)

Stevens Family said...

You are an amazing teacher, and I was always in awe at your ablitity to captivate when you taught. You will do a wonderful job!

Brooke said...

Wow...Professor Tam Bam. Congrats. I'm glad it all worked out so well. Have fun!

Sarah and Trent said...

Yahoooooo!!! Yes, these folks got it right, you're going to be great. You're going to have those students rolling with your jokes, I just know it. Next is Comedy Central~
I'm glad you have a couple of months to prepare... It's going to be the most fantastic social work course SMCC has ever seen!!

Leah said...

That is so cool. Grown up sounding and everything! Can I be like you someday?

Jason and Kate said...

Congrats!!!!! That is so awesome. You will be the best teacher in the whole world (look I'm already brown nosing and I'm not even your student). hehe No, seriously...that is so cool. Teacher tip: let your class out early on Book Club days!

Melanie&Skyler Cont. said...

WOW! That is SO exciting and I just love that it's extra close to home for you. Does this mean you get to have student teacher who grades all your papers and such :) Fingers crossed for you. Really, CONGRATS. What an amazing opportunity. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

azandersens said...

Awesome! They're lucky to have you!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Congratulations! What a perfect opportunity to share your skills with others (and get paid for it)!! My husband is a college professor and he loves it. It will be lots of up front work getting the syllabus ready and classes prepped but before long you will be all set and you will love it!

Greg and Lara said...

I don't know a thing about social work, but I do know a thing or two about creating syllabi. Give me a call if you need help, and congrats on scoring the college gig! That's awesome! Sarah can be #1 friend this week, as long as I'm #1 next week! :)

Tara Black said...

Tammy, that is wonderful!! You will be such a great teacher! You are so personable and genuine that I am sure your students will love you!

Jill said...

I'd totally take your class...if you didn't make me do any work.

If I sent you a pan of BYU mint brownies, where would that put me on the friendship list?

Allyson & Jere said...

Congrats! That is sooooo awesome! Your students will be so happy when they realize what a rock star they have for a teacher!

Ashlee said...

You'll be swell
You'll be great...
so excited for you! Good luck with getting things prepared and everything.

The Maxsons said...

Oh my goodness! That is so awesome! Yah, I'm with Lana, I wanna take your class too!!!