We did it.
We finished our very first triathlon!
And here is the story...
We awoke at 4am on Thanksgiving morning after a very hectic week. We had trouble sleeping the night before due to crazy dreams of stolen bikes and a serious case of the nerves. I had washed my swim suit the night before and carried it around the house with me before bed. While setting up my brother Matt's air mattress, I set the swim suit in Emma's toy bin. At 4am the next morning, my brain was not working on all cylinders and I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I could not find my swim suit. After a series of prayers and hyperventilating, I happened to look in the toy bin and saw my suit. Not a great way to start off the day.
We arrived early, set up our gear in the transition area, got our arms and legs marked with our number and went to the bathroom 5, 8 or 17 times. There was a youth triathlon before the adult race, so we had to wait for that to complete. More time for our nerves to get the best of us.
We began a few minutes behind schedule and the men started the run 10 minutes before the women. Below is Greg beginning the run in his gray t-shirt. We were some of the only competitors that were not in "official race gear". Next time we will learn. It's all about looking the part. After all, it's not what is on the inside that counts, right?
Here I am finishing the two mile run. I was glad that this triathlon was backwards of most (usually you swim, bike, run) because the running is my least favorite event, and it was nice to get it over with.
And here I am taking off for the bike ride. I was feeling pretty good going into the bike, but mostly because I knew my sweet bike would pull through for me. :)
Greg really made up some time on the bike. He was cruising along at some sweet speeds and clearly enjoyed this portion of the race the most. He has turned into quite the little cyclist.
My brother Matt also joined us in the triathlon. We were pumped to have him competing with us. And for training a total of THREE WEEKS as compared to our SIX MONTHS. It wasn't too shabby that he only lost to me by one minute (and Greg by three). He claims he is hooked on triathlons, so hopefully we will compete together again in the future. Unfortunately, he borrowed a 10-year-old mountain bike, that made his bike ride very strenuous. If he would have been on my bike, he would have killed my time.
And off to the swim. Greg kinda sorta maybe stopped training for the swim portion all together, so this was a difficult leg for him. BUT - I'm proud of him for completing it!
Swimming was my favorite event of all three, but I was completely and utterly exhausted when I jumped in the pool. The 12-mile bike ride really took it out of me. My swim time was an entire three minutes slower than I usually swim a 400. Had I known that Greg was a mere two minutes ahead of me on total time, I would have swam the Michael Phelps out of that pool. But, alas, I didn't and so I took my sweet time. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
And the main goal of it all - WE FINISHED!! Here is Matt crossing the finish line! Total time of 1:24.
And here I am - HALELUJAH - total time of 1:23!! Sadly, we didn't catch Greg on camera, but he did finish in a total time of 1:21!!
We felt so good after the race. You must know that Greg and I are not athletes. Well, who am I kidding, anyone who knows us, knows that we are not athletes. So, to take our artsy/music selves and finish a race like this was REALLY REALLY big for us. We basically started with no skills at all, and worked up to finish a triathlon.

Matt actually took the place of my Aunt Sharron who was originally going to complete the triathlon with us. She injured her foot and was not able to compete, but was gracious enough to give Matt her spot. We made a t-shirt the day before that said "Run 4 Sharron". :)
And here are all three competitors (plus Emma).
And the MAIN reason we finished the race - was our extremely AWESOME cheering section. How amazing is this? My ENTIRE family who came to town for Thanksgiving ALL came to the race, including my Aunt Sharron and Greg's Dad and Grandpa (from New Mexico). Never mind all of the preparation that the Thanksgiving meal took and the shear exhaustion from traveling. They got up at a horribly early hour to drive all the way to Goodyear and support us. I'm tearing up even as I write it. Words can not express how much this meant to us. Every step of the way, I could hear them all yelling and cheering us on. It was really an incredible experience and my favorite part of the entire triathlon. Our family supports us in everything we do. Not just in word, but in action. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! You will never know how much that affected us.
Until our next triathlon...
We finished our very first triathlon!
And here is the story...
We arrived early, set up our gear in the transition area, got our arms and legs marked with our number and went to the bathroom 5, 8 or 17 times. There was a youth triathlon before the adult race, so we had to wait for that to complete. More time for our nerves to get the best of us.
We began a few minutes behind schedule and the men started the run 10 minutes before the women. Below is Greg beginning the run in his gray t-shirt. We were some of the only competitors that were not in "official race gear". Next time we will learn. It's all about looking the part. After all, it's not what is on the inside that counts, right?
20 comments:
Wow! I am so impressed! Congratulations that is such an accomplishement!
So proud of you guys! You're awesome and inspiring!
Awesome!!! What a great accomplishment for you guys. I don't think I would ever have the guts to do it and you are talking about doing another one! I loved seeing your family cheering you on!
well done! that is incredible. as another nonathlete artsy type, i am most impressed.
You ROCK! Congrats on doing the triathlon. Some day I want to do one. I agree, the best part of any race is the cheering section that cheer you on and help you conquer the impossible!
way to go fellow tri racers. that was fun seeing you guys there. wasnt that such a great race. i loved it. hopefully we we see you out there next year. i am jealous of all your pictures, maybe next year i will pay your camera guy to take pictures of me too. the only picture josh's dad got of me was swimming, dont even see my face!!! oh well i guess i will just have to do another one. NIce work again.
That really gave me the chills to read that post Tam! That your family supported you, that you worked so hard and gained new skills, that you determinedly finished strong!! Ahhhh big sigh. I'm so happy. Yayyyy way to go!
You've inspired Trent and me to consider improving our musical skills.
Your family does deserve serious props for going to support you. I went last year to watch Porter, Dixie and Eric, and it WAS seriously EARLY!!! :) But it was really fun to watch. And I was massively proud of them. And I feel the same for you guys!! That really is an awesome accomplishment, and you all look great in your pictures!! Hooray hooray hooray. She Rocks...May 2010, you in? (PS--I joined the Y, so I want to do it!!)
Wow!! SO IMPRESSED!!! You guys rock! I got a little misty eyed at the end when you talked about your family supporting you. Awesome.
What a great accomplishment! What a huge goal to accomplish. I am impressed that you posted a picture of you in a swimsuit. I wouldn't be so brave!:) I love how many people came to support you.
I almost got teary reading that. You guys rock! I'm so proud of you!
I also have to say that I think it is a little funny that you have to get out of the pool and cross the finish line. I guess it keeps people from loitering the pool?
Yea! So fun. You guys did do awesome. The family support is really fun. I missed that this year. It really is the best part. Congrats!
Obviously adding to the long list of well wishes and congrats I have to add mine. I think that this is seriously cool and amazing and I am super proud!!
Obviously adding to the long list of well wishes and congrats I have to add mine. I think that this is seriously cool and amazing and I am super proud!!
You guys are awesome! I would love to do a triathlon, but just haven't gotten up the guts to do it yet! You are now my inspiration.
You were awesome and I started tearing up every time one of you would pass by.I was so proud of you guys! I have some more pictures of the race that I will try and send you!
Thank you SO MUCH for all the fun times in AZ!
love you!
So, so, soooooo awesome! I'm so proud of you two. It really is the greatest feeling of accomplishment in the world. I too got a little teary about all the family support. There is nothing better than a loving and supportive family. Finaly, really fabulous pictures taken throughout. How fun to have such great shots, including your swim! So prou of you!
Great job!!! I have been waiting for the post. Ry says that tri's are addicting and it sounds like they are. You have a great family and we are so happy for you that you did this.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am SO impressed by 1) the fact that you finished the triathlon but most importantly 2) that you WANTED to do the triathlon. That's where I get stuck, on that whole desire thing.
You guys are awesome!
Post a Comment