Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Not your typical Halloween weekend.

This was not our typical Halloween weekend.

We had pumpkins purchased, but they never got carved.

We had costumes purchased, but they never got finished.

We had candy purchased, but it was never given to trick-or-treaters.

We had parties planned, but they were never attended.

Raymond Arthur Adams (Greg's Father) passed away after a long battle with cancer on Wednesday, October 27th around 6:00am. We had the honor of spending the rest of the weekend surrounded by friends and family celebrating his life.

It was emotionally and physically exhausting, but we were all comforted and uplifted by the Spirit of peace. We know that families will be together forever and this death is but a short separation.

We worked together to plan the entire funeral and burial details in three days. WOW. I had no idea there was so much involved. I kept telling people that it was like planning a wedding (which generally takes 6 months-1 year) in three days. I spent a lot of time scanning old pictures into a digital format for enlargements and a video to capture Ray's life. Thank goodness for so many generous friends and family that lent their helping hands to the cause. We never had to worry about food, because there were always new meals brought into Linda's home. Ray and Linda have served so many people through the years and it was very evident when so many wanted to give back in small and simple ways.

I did not get many pictures, so a second post may come around sometime with additional snapshots from other's cameras.

Below is a picture of the display table that was set-up for the viewing and funeral to capture some elements of Ray's life. He loved all things mechanic - big trucks, sand rails, race cars, quads, etc...


We have had so many tender mercies through his death for which we are grateful.

He was diagnosed with lung cancer (never smoked a day in his life) almost 5 years ago - and the doctor's initially told him he would only live 1-2 years. He fought hard and we had him around 3 years longer than expected.

He died relatively quickly and with little pain - which is not always the case with cancer. He never became completely confined to his bed or unconscious.

Only three days before he passed away, we enjoyed a steak dinner from "Outback" take-out style in their kitchen. Ray and Linda always treat their pregnant children to a steak dinner to celebrate the upcoming baby arrival. Ray sat with us at the table and although he knew he couldn't eat a steak, he ordered one anyway, just because.

For the last 10 weeks I have taught an evening class at South Mountain Community College on Tuesday evenings. And for the last 10 weeks, Greg has taken Emma over to his parents home to visit while I teach. Last Tuesday (October 26) was my last class and last Tuesday Greg and Emma went over for their visit. Ray died the following morning. What a blessing that they enjoyed special time together for the last 10 weeks of his life, and most especially that they were able to see him the night before he passed away.

When Greg and Emma went to leave on Tuesday evening, Ray was asleep. Not wanting to wake him up, Greg told his Mom that they would sneak out. Stubborn Miss Emma looked up at her Daddy and said, "I can not leave until I give Grandpa Ray a kiss and hug". So she promptly jumped up onto his bed, which woke him up, and then gave him a kiss and hug goodbye. Ray was appreciative that she did so and lovingly gave her a kiss and hug in return. Greg was then able to also say goodbye to his Dad for the last time in mortality. Although Emma's insistent personality is bothersome at times, Greg will forever be grateful that she pushed her agenda that Tuesday evening.

Of course the greatest tender mercy is the peace that we have felt through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It has been our constant companion. Prayers have been felt as we have been lifted up and blessed tremendously.

The viewing was Friday evening and so many people came to pay their respects. The funeral was Saturday morning and the church was packed through the entire cultural hall with hundreds.

Below is a picture of the funeral luncheon that Linda's ward generously hosted. I would say there were easily 100+ people in attendance and the food was remarkable.


The four sons comprised the funeral program and they did an outstanding job. Jamie gave the life sketch, Greg and Kurt shared short memories, and Jeff talked about Ray and his beliefs in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They each did such an incredibly accurate job of describing Ray as a man, with all of his various attributes. The four boys also sang, "Nearer My God To Thee" and Jamie and Greg each sang separate solos. Amazingly, Jamie and Greg each sang their solos without breaking down once. It was a really beautiful service.

Even had you never known Ray, you could tell that he was a wonderful man by his four boys.

At the luncheon, Jamie told a great story about his Dad requesting a "nice hat" from a car race to be held in Singapore while Jamie was visiting on a business trip. Jamie attended the car race and purchased a hat for Ray and for Kurt and Jeff (who also love car racing). He never got to deliver the hat to Ray in person because he lives in Texas, but he passed along the hats to his brothers and gave Greg the hat that was intended for Ray.

Here is Greg with his Dad's hat and little Missy.

Emma loved her Grandpa Ray and he loved her so much. It breaks my heart to think that she will have to grow up without him. The boys all said through the funeral, that Ray was a great Dad, but an even better Grandpa. He definitely kept Emma smiling and happy. She will miss him and so will we.

Although Saturday was exceptionally long and exceptionally tiring, we decided that the kids needed a little bit of "Halloween Fun". We threw on Emma's giraffe costume. Greg and I were supposed to be trees that she could eat. I was intending to sew the leaves all along our green shirts, but that never happened. So, Greg threw on on a green shirt and just wrapped the leaves around his neck. Emma was pleased as punch. I just went as the picture taker. No costume this year for me.

Here is Emma the giraffe with Greg's grandparents, which was the only home to which we trick-or-treated. Luckily, Emma is still so young, she never knew the difference. We also went to a Halloween Haunted House that Linda's friend invited us to.



Emma with Isaac/Blue (Jamie's little boy). Must be cousins, huh?

It was not our typical Halloween weekend.

But we truly enjoyed being together as a family to mourn, and celebrate the legacy that Ray has left behind.

20 comments:

Shelley said...

All I can say is that I know what you guys are going through. Having lost my own Dad a couple of years ago, it brought back a flood of memories. Uncle Ray was a great man. He always had a smile, a happy spirit, and a great story or joke to tell. The funeral was absolutely perfect. The spirit was so strong, and we could feel the love that you all had for your Dad. The singing was amazing! Let us know if there is anything we can help out with. Seriously! Please don't hesitate. On a lighter note, we should get together some time.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful account of your happenings of the week. I love you guys and am thinking of you!!!

Jill said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful man. And what a great blessing that both Greg and Emma were able to have a proper goodbye.

Erin-lou said...

Greg- Our deepest condolences. I am glad Emma got to help you say goodbye.
Tammy-Great blogging skills, I may need a tissue.
Emma-You are such a cute giraffe, you can come over and trick or treat at our house, we have way to much candy.

Sarah and Trent said...

Oh you have me so teary. What an amazing story and memory for Greg and Emma to have of saying their last goodbyes to Ray! What a fantastic tribute you've given him.

Jason and Kate said...

Way to make a grown woman get all teary-eyed. I just love the fact that Greg and Emma have been going over there every week. And the cute little goodbyes that they had. That is such a tender mercy. We love you guys and are thinking of you.

azandersens said...

The services were SO good! Ray would have been very proud of his sons. He was mentioned in a talk in our ward on Sunday. Will give you the deets later. :)

Jeff Krebs said...

Great Post. I don't think Ray lost the battle with cancer though. He battled well and survived much longer than expected. What a blessing to enjoy those extra years and moments with him! I guess it is a good thing you live in AZ :) Ben still says, "bless greg that he will be comforted," everynight for prayers. It's nice to see Greg wear a hat :) Is he going to take up car racing now too?? Love you guys!!

Allyson & Jere said...

What a beautifully written post. I may or may not have lost it when I read about Emma insisting on saying goodbye, and that allowing Greg to have one final goodbye with his Dad. Thank goodness for sweet, insistent children.

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend the viewing or funeral, I heard they were great.

Again, I am sorry for your loss, but thankful that he no longer has to suffer in his poor broken down body.

Love you guys!

crystal said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, Greg!! We are not old enough to lose our dads! We love you guys.

Dyan said...

I read the post with tears in my eyes. The funeral was good. I loved all of the stories and memories. Ray was such a great man. I was blessed to have known him. Let me know what we can do for you and your family.

Beth and Shae said...

What a touching post. Ray seemed to be a wonderful man. One of the hardest things for me when my mom passed away was thinking of my children growing up without her. A good friend told me to talk about her a lot with our kids and do special things and tell lots of stories to remind them of her. Our friend had done that with her son and as an adult he would retell the stories like he knew his Grandpa well. We are thinking of your family.

goofy feet said...

he'll definitely be missed. what a great guy! the pic of grandma adams makes me miss his funny jokes :)

Leah said...

Seriously had me in tears I have never even met the man! How amazing he must be! The separation may be short in the grand scheme of things but that doesn't necessarily make it easier. So happy that you have the gospel and understand it's blessings-truly the greatest comfort. I am so sorry for you loss and my thoughts and prayers are for you and yours!

A mother heart said...

You made me teary. This is such a sweet entry. I'm so glad for you that you all were able to spend so much time with him before saying good-bye. Knowing Emma and her great talent for remembering people, I'm sure she will never forget him, even though she is still tiny.

Jill said...

Thank you for posting Tammy. This is a lovely post. I am so glad that you shared some of these stories.

My prayers are with the Adams family.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Beautiful post about a wonderful man! Hope you are all doing well.

Crandell Fam said...

Beautiful post, Tammy! It was a great tribute, and was sweet to read about Greg and Emma visiting and being able to say goodbye one last time.

April said...

I am so sorry to hear about Greg's dad. Bill lost his father 4 years ago and I know Greg is really thankful to have such a wonderful wife to support him.

Kimball said...

I was very touched by your post of Ray's life and the funeral services. We recently did this for Erica's cousin and it is very hard to lose family but knowing you will see them again because of the gospel is a great comfort. Please let Greg know of our well wishes to him and your family.