Monday, December 13, 2010

And so they begin...

CHRISTMAS FESTIVITIES! Lay them on thick Mr. Holiday Season, because I'm loving every single minute.

Kicked off the month with my Tempe Symphony Christmas Concert. Always well attended by the public (cause it's FREE) and a great way to start the season. Complete with community choirs and a sing-a-long.

The first weekend of December I had my annual party with friends from my Masters program (MSW) at ASU. We graduated almost 8 years ago, and it is always fun to get together. Wish I had a picture to show you how darling they are. I don't see them as often as I would like, but every time I leave their company, I am reminded how lucky I was to attend school with such impressive, intelligent, fun, and genuinely kind peers. The world is a better place with social workers like these women in the field.

Also enjoyed the Christmas concert of East Valley Mormon Choral Organization (EVMCO). Attended with my Aunt Sharron and sister Laura and what an incredible concert. Really got you in the Christmas spirit! Hand bells and all! Nothing says Christmas like hand bells... am I right?? Again - no pictures - must be the pregnancy brain.

This week (Thursday) we had our ward's Relief Society party. Always super fun, but this year especially memorable because it also included Emma's first public singing performance. She sang for a group of about 50 women and was adorable (if I may say so).

She first sang "Away in a Manger" with Greg and I as back-up singers. Then she sang "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus" as a solo. I'm sick because I forgot to record her that night (complete with applause, laughter, bowing, and darling Christmas skirt).... so I had to get her singing her songs, the next day at my grandparents home. Not quite the same, but you get the gist.

Here is Away in a Manger:



Friday evening we attended a Christmas event through the City of Tempe. It was fairly crowded, so we didn't stay exceptionally long, but I was THRILLED with their fantastic Santa. And we only had to wait 10 minutes.

This is Emma's first year that she has agreed to sit on Santa's lap (sans screaming). She finally gets it. She finally gets that he is the man who brings her presents. And this smart little thing never does anything altruistically. When I asked her is she was excited to sit on Santa's lap, she replied, "YES! And I'll ask him for a Baby Belle doll and then he will put it in my hands!". We had to break it to her gently that she would just TELL him now and then she would have to wait until Christmas morning to see if he honored her request. She seemed fine to wait for the goods and was still pumped to sit on his lap and give her LONG list of requests.

Could you EVER get a more darling Santa? He was SO sweet with her. Just love this picture.

The event also allowed Emma to decorate and eat her own Christmas cookie. She was mostly interested in the eating part. Duh. That's what they are meant for.

Then she met up with her pal David and they ate cookies and chatted around the "campfire"...

Saturday we tried to continue the Christmas Spirit and attend Tempe's "Boat Light Parade". They let over 50 motorized and decorated boats onto Tempe Town Lake for a holiday parade. Should have been really cool, but unfortunately, we could not see the boats. At all. Very disappointing. Guess we'll know for next year to arrive extra early.

We even met up with JJ, Zac and Alex. But, Emma and Alex had more fun playing with the stroller that watching the boats (that they couldn't see). Shocking.


We finished the weekend festivities with a super fun evening with Greg's family. Linda is spending the holidays with Jamie and Gina in Texas, so we celebrated early before her departure. We ordered FANTASTIC Mexican Food and gorged ourselves silly on homemade tortillas, yummy tamales, tasty meat and treats, treats, treat! Again, forgot the camera, but let it be known that Emma was spoiled rotten by her Grammie Lou and then proceeded to be a complete 2-year-old and steal all of her cousin's toys that were suddenly better than hers. LOVELY. Should make Christmas morning with even more cousins super fun.

Merry Christmas to all! We have many more festivities ahead... so more to come!

4 comments:

Emily Lauren said...

Sounds like you guys have been busy partying it up already. What fun and festive events.

I especially loved the videos of Emma singing, I'm sure she did adorable and hammed it up, up there. You'll have to make sure to record and post her next performance, as I'm sure she'll be booking events quickly now. :)

Lastly, Beck was totally the same way with Santa. After seeing him I asked "Beck, what did you ask him for?". Beck: "I asked him for Lots of cars, but he just gave me a candy cane." Haha. That would be quite the downer.

Allyson & Jere said...

Oh how utterly adorable is Emma singing for you. That just melts my heart. Tragically I fear Maggie will never impart her singing "skills" for anyone to enjoy. Tragic.

Sounds like you are busy beavers this Holiday Season. Might as well get in all the partying before that kid comes and shakes things up. haha

Jeff Krebs said...

I loved Emma's microphone. Our boys may not sing as well as Emma and Aliya, but they are bringing their dance moves. You better believe it!!!!!!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Emma has got big things in store for her. I can't wait to find out what!