Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Motherhood Help Requested!!
I'm pretty sure that some of the food that I'm eating is upsetting Emma's tummy. Trying to figure out what it could be has been a nightmare. Any advice, suggestions, help from other mothers out there? PLEASE??
I'm reading my "Baby 411" book and it says foods that MIGHT cause a problem: cabbage, turnips, broccoli, rhubarb, apricots, prunes, melons, and peaches. When I was breastfeeding, I think chocolate made Benson gassy. Another big reason we realized he was gassy was he would fall asleep a lot without getting a good burp out. As it made it's way down to the other end, we were all very aware of his pain. That's just my guess.
Tammy, I'm not sure I believe the whole 'what you eat effects your milk' stuff. My mom told me not to eat onions and chocolate and I didn't for the first month or so but then I gave in and there wasn't any noticeable change in Ian. But having said that, some babies can have a cow's milk allergy. Maybe try cutting out dairy products for a week. Or better yet, talk to your pediatrician about it. Good luck!!
Good luck with that! Kate was so fussy and I tried cutting out dairy, spicy foods, anything that could make you gassy and it turned out she had reflux. Does Emma spit up alot?
This sounds funny but it worked with Jack, when he was gassy we would lay him on his back and push his knees to his tummy or put his feet to his nose. Weird but it worked!
Lauren was a bottle baby so I didn't have to worry about that but I do know that my sis-in-law couldn't eat salad's - something about it would really upset her kids tummy's. But Lauren did have Acid Reflux - she would cry when she was eating and they can spit up a lot. Once she got started on Prevacid she was a different baby! Good luck figuring it out.
I'm with smelsha-- in that I don't believe it really makes a difference. Our pediatrician told us that around 2-3 weeks old is when babies show their "true colors", (or something like that, basically that they stop being sweet 24/7 and start being fussy, etc.) I think you'll find that no matter what you do, within a few months, it will get better.
That said, my sister swears that chocolate will make babies gassy and sick. I've never been convinced enough to modify my diet. Maybe I'm just mean. :)
My friend has a newborn who was fussy and she said she stopped eating any dairy producst. Now her little guy really barely ever cries. Of course, he also sleeps 10 hours a night and he's only 3 months old so he just may be a rare baby. Good luck!
My friend Janene cut out dairy with her third baby and that made all the difference. Not very fun though. I think the other thoughts on getting up burbs (getting one can be one of the greatest accomplishments in itself) and helping expell gas are great tips too. Good luck!
I had a similar prob with Chase...but I never figured out what the prob was...it just eventually went away! Sorry, that's not very helpful! She sure is a cutie :)
my friend's just found out her baby was lactose intolerant. For the first few weeks of her life it was horrible until they figured it out. Just a thought! Now she has a happy baby.
Congratulations on your baby! I just saw your blog from Tricia's site. Your baby is beautiful! I had to give up chocolate with all three of my kids. They spit up and were so gassy if I ate any chocolate or chocolate milk....bummer! Good luck!
My suggestion is just don't eat?! Ok seriously, you could try cutting out one thing for a few days and then cut out something else, etc. Maybe by the process of elimination you could figure it out. I personally never tried it, but I probably should have. Mady was my worst. I just love food too much!
You have probably already heard this, but dairy would be the thing that I would cut out. Or spicy foods. I had to give up nursing because of dr's orders to put her on a soy formula for a milk related problem. I hope you find out what it is!
18 comments:
Hey Tam! I am not the person to help out here- Sorry! But I hope you can figure it out. It's not banana oatmeal pancakes, is it?
Hummm...Ella and Nina never minded what I ate.
What about tomato products?
I'm reading my "Baby 411" book and it says foods that MIGHT cause a problem: cabbage, turnips, broccoli, rhubarb, apricots, prunes, melons, and peaches. When I was breastfeeding, I think chocolate made Benson gassy. Another big reason we realized he was gassy was he would fall asleep a lot without getting a good burp out. As it made it's way down to the other end, we were all very aware of his pain. That's just my guess.
Tammy, I'm not sure I believe the whole 'what you eat effects your milk' stuff. My mom told me not to eat onions and chocolate and I didn't for the first month or so but then I gave in and there wasn't any noticeable change in Ian. But having said that, some babies can have a cow's milk allergy. Maybe try cutting out dairy products for a week. Or better yet, talk to your pediatrician about it. Good luck!!
Good luck with that! Kate was so fussy and I tried cutting out dairy, spicy foods, anything that could make you gassy and it turned out she had reflux. Does Emma spit up alot?
This sounds funny but it worked with Jack, when he was gassy we would lay him on his back and push his knees to his tummy or put his feet to his nose. Weird but it worked!
Lauren was a bottle baby so I didn't have to worry about that but I do know that my sis-in-law couldn't eat salad's - something about it would really upset her kids tummy's.
But Lauren did have Acid Reflux - she would cry when she was eating and they can spit up a lot. Once she got started on Prevacid she was a different baby!
Good luck figuring it out.
I'm with smelsha-- in that I don't believe it really makes a difference. Our pediatrician told us that around 2-3 weeks old is when babies show their "true colors", (or something like that, basically that they stop being sweet 24/7 and start being fussy, etc.) I think you'll find that no matter what you do, within a few months, it will get better.
That said, my sister swears that chocolate will make babies gassy and sick. I've never been convinced enough to modify my diet. Maybe I'm just mean. :)
My friend has a newborn who was fussy and she said she stopped eating any dairy producst. Now her little guy really barely ever cries. Of course, he also sleeps 10 hours a night and he's only 3 months old so he just may be a rare baby. Good luck!
My friend Janene cut out dairy with her third baby and that made all the difference. Not very fun though. I think the other thoughts on getting up burbs (getting one can be one of the greatest accomplishments in itself) and helping expell gas are great tips too. Good luck!
I had a similar prob with Chase...but I never figured out what the prob was...it just eventually went away! Sorry, that's not very helpful! She sure is a cutie :)
tam, you still foraging fruit loops and oreos from your neighbors?? that could be it :)
my friend's just found out her baby was lactose intolerant. For the first few weeks of her life it was horrible until they figured it out. Just a thought! Now she has a happy baby.
This isn't helping me want to have kids.
I have also heard that chocolate and dairy cause problems for the baby.
Also, moving their legs helps the baby get rid of the gas.
I love the picture by the way.
Congratulations on your baby! I just saw your blog from Tricia's site. Your baby is beautiful! I had to give up chocolate with all three of my kids. They spit up and were so gassy if I ate any chocolate or chocolate milk....bummer! Good luck!
My suggestion is just don't eat?! Ok seriously, you could try cutting out one thing for a few days and then cut out something else, etc. Maybe by the process of elimination you could figure it out. I personally never tried it, but I probably should have. Mady was my worst. I just love food too much!
You have probably already heard this, but dairy would be the thing that I would cut out. Or spicy foods. I had to give up nursing because of dr's orders to put her on a soy formula for a milk related problem. I hope you find out what it is!
You have a ton of good advice and I don't have anything to add except that Emma is SO cute!
Post a Comment