
In 1994, I was a junior at Lafayette High School. I was living happily with my family in our suburbian home. I was a member of All State Orchestra, Lafayette Orchestra and Central Kentucky Youth Orchestra. I was in my high school's production of "Music Man" and was dating my first boyfriend. I attended seminary and church regularly and had a very care free, concern free, very blessed existence.
Across the globe in 1994, Immaculee Ilibagiza was surviving a horrific Rwandan Holocaust. She hid in a 3' by 4' bathroom with 7 other women for 91 days. There were almost 1 MILLION people murdered in 100 days. She lost virtually her entire family and most of her friends. Read about her experience in the rivoting book "Left to Tell". Her amazing communion with God and story of positive thinking and hope is truly inspirational.
English is her third language, so the writing style is not the most prolific I have read, but you forget about that once you feel her story, experience her fear and live her power of hope.
10 comments:
I read this book this summer and it is one of the most remarkable stories I've ever heard. I couldn't put it down!
I am always looking for a good book to read. I am going to go grab this one as soon as I can!
I am going to look it up at the library right now.
Thanks for the heads up on this book. Can't wait to read it.
Ummm... Where are the pictures of Emma???
I remember how tough it was to watch Hotel Rwanda. It was so sad to see those little boys with guns.
I will have to add this book on my list to read.
after i read this review, i got onto my library website and put the book on hold. i love a good book. i went to pick it up today and the drive thru window at my library was closed and i'm not crazy enough to drag my kids into the library to pick it up. it will have to wait for another day!! i'll let you know how i like it.
Totally gonna get this book. Hey are you on "Goodreads"? It's a cool online bookclub type thing. Check it out...we can be friends. :)
read it. loved it.
This book was one of those life changers. I had no idea about he genocide and was disgusted and saddened by the extreme violence and murder. I was completely amazed by Imaculee's story, though, and it is one of my favorite books. She's one of my heroes. I was sad to have to miss book club that night. I completely planned on going and then couldn't make it. :(
Post a Comment