Sunday, April 26, 2009

Electrical Gadgets and Water DO NOT MIX

Word of advice: Electrical gadgets and water DO NOT MIX!

EXAMPLE #1 - Had my camera in the bottom of my purse this weekend. Emma's sippy cup of water was on top. You bright ones out there can figure out the error. The cup leaked, our BRAND NEW (as of Christmas) digital camera is now toast.

EXAMPLE #2 - Had a work meeting with a co-worker at my home. Let Emma wander around while I was meeting. Emma grabbed Greg's IPOD and went to her favorite spot in the house... the toilet. You guessed it. In it went. No more ITUNES for us. Saddest thing, is that I washed Greg's IPOD in the washer last year, so this one was new.


ONE WEEK


TWO GADGETS - $450.00


Brings Emma's net worth DEFICIT to $20,450.00

12 comments:

Jason and Kate said...

lolololololol!!!! Your ending is mighty clever. Sorry to hear about the loss.

Caryn said...

so SAD! Cameras and ipods are so happy! Oh the pain! Kids break stuff all the time and it gets to painful!

Sarah and Trent said...

wahahaaaaa! We are totally laughing right out loud about Emma's deficit. She better make this up to you in premium elderly care when you're old!! :) ahhaaaaha
So I feel your pain: at the St. George marathon I had NOOO music for the entire thing because my phone (with the music on it) was in a bag with my water bottle... DUMB!!

Stevens Family said...

Note from and experienced mom:
Sometimes water logged gadgets can be salvaged! I know,from experience! Step one: If something falls in the tub..or toilet, take the battery off and put it on something hot like a stereo amp or on top of a hot oven. Let it cook for about 24 hours and it might work again... might... it has worked for us. If you wash your sons phone, put it in the dryer you never know miracles happen, I know a few phones that this has worked for! On the other hand if salt water jumps into your pocket at the beach...you are pretty much toast!

azandersens said...

I so know your pain. :) Isobel wasn't ever really destructive, she really knew how to go after high-end electronics. My two favorites were when she completely erased my palm pilot when it wasn't backed up to my computer and when we found my mp3 player in a bucket of water outside. Sorry!

Jill said...

Wow! And she's not even in her terrible two's yet. Way to be advanced for your age, Emma!

Lara said...

I think Emma should start charging you and Greg for hugs/kisses. I think her debt would be definitely paid off.

Lana said...

That is really depressing! Did you have a bunch of pictures on the camera or anything?? I remember when you were so bummed that you washed Greg's iPod the first time. :( Too sad...if it weren't for those cheeks, what would you do with her!?!

Dixiechick said...

LOL! She owe's you BIG time. Just a little FYI...I washed and dried my iPod shuffle...TWICE! It actually came back to life twice. I had to wait a few weeks and eventually everything dried out enough inside to work. Sooooo, if you haven't already chucked it you might want to keep it around for a little bit and try it in a few weeks. It just might work. I also washed Cameron's phone in the washing machine and dropped my phone in the bathtub all within a couple weeks of each other. I've found electrical devices with water episodes tend to happen in 3's. So, you should be done. Phew!

Matt said...

Trent, you're the finance whiz. At 5.25% interest, what's that deficit gonna be when Emma's 18?

Greg and Lara said...

NET WORTH DEFICIT! You are killing me!

Corinda said...

Matt has probably already commented about this in person, but this is the very reason we like our Olympus camera. We got the water and shock proof edition because apparently we don't need kids to break our technology, we do it on our own. I think we've had it for about a year and a half and it's still doing great after several underwater excursions and too many falls to count. So, if you're in the market for a new one, check out Olympus cameras.