When the weather man promises a weekend full of heat OVER 110 degrees - what else is there to do but GET OUT OF DODGE?!?
So... we packed up some of Greg's family and headed to my grandparents cabin in the mountains. We were greeted with rain and a gorgeous thunderstorm and I knew we had made the right choice for our weekend plans!
Saturday morning, Emma woke up quite early. To avoid waking the entire cabin, Greg and I fed her breakfast in our bedroom and then snuck out of the cabin to the fish hatchery. Emma LOVES fish and was quite taken with the hatchery. I just love this cute little picture of her.
So... we packed up some of Greg's family and headed to my grandparents cabin in the mountains. We were greeted with rain and a gorgeous thunderstorm and I knew we had made the right choice for our weekend plans!
Saturday morning, Emma woke up quite early. To avoid waking the entire cabin, Greg and I fed her breakfast in our bedroom and then snuck out of the cabin to the fish hatchery. Emma LOVES fish and was quite taken with the hatchery. I just love this cute little picture of her.
Really? Could those tiny nuggets of cardboard-looking-food really be worth body slamming/pimp slapping your neighbor? I may attack for Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake, but that's about it.
If good food is around me, I do not have the self-control to avoid eating it. I feel so weak admitting this, but it is an honest truth that I simply must face.
At home, I do not surround myself with junk food, and therefore maintain my Weight Watchers diet rather well. At the cabin, there were so many yummy things, I just had to partake. Naughty Tammy. Very, very naughty. Here's to an upcoming week of intense exercise and starvation. :)
FIVE stores later, we still had no ice cream maker and returned to the cabin defeated.
We put on our pioneer thinking caps(or bonnets if you will) and started to brain storm. We put the ice cream mix in ziploc bags, emptied out some of my grandparents food storage #10 cans, filled it with rock salt, ice, and the mixture bags - and went to town shaking the cans and rolling them across the cabin floor.
After only 15 minutes of "processing time" we had some pretty AMAZING rocky road ice cream. Who says the pioneers had it so rough? If they had ice cream like this, they could have walked and walked another 2,000 miles. YUM! (and yes, this is some of the wonderful food that I could not avoid or control entering my tummy).
11 comments:
Very cute picture of Emma at the hatchery. Super jealous of the fun cabin party. And bravo to you guys for figuring out a way to forge ahead and make the ice cream. People obviously are spending too much money on fancy nancy ice cream makers nowadays. Suckers. :)
Emma is so cute! Way to use your noggins on that ice cream. Sounds yummy.
Man, you guys really wanted ice cream! lol Loved the reference to the pioneers walking. You are a genious!
Wow! I love your ingenuity! Maybe I'll keep some of those mixes and rock salt in my food storage so that if disaster strikes we'll at least have a yummy treat every now and again (assuming we can find ice).
So, fun! And I am sure that with all your training you can afford a yummy weekend here and there!!
I am going to go out and buy some Rocky Road Ice cream thanks to you.
I don't have any power over food that is in front of me either so I feel your pain. At least you work out though:)
Glad that you had fun with Greg's fam.
Love you and can't wait until September!!!!
See unlike you Tammy, if I HEAR about yummy foods then I want to go and surround myself with them. I've actually been cravin some homemade ice cream since my family told me about the yumminess I missed on the 4th. Now it's ON for sure!
It sounds like you guys had a great weekend. How fun to make your own icecream. I am sure it was well worth the effort.
Well Tammy, admitting is half the battle right? I am soooo with you on the "no control" when good eats are around. Good thing we don't have cabin trips that often huh? And way to go on the ice cream making, clever indeed.
Ah...how I don't miss the fiery furnace of hell. I hope you guys don't melt before October because I can't wait to see you! Waiting for the Big B-Day post! I'm sure it was all parties, all weekend long!
Post a Comment