I embarked on my weekly CVS run this morning after Emma's swim lessons (where she is failing BTW - no kicking abilities and no bubble blowing skills). :)
Well OK, if you must know, I got all of these items for $3.00! But I digress, because this post is not about my amazing CVS deals.
Well OK, if you must know, I got all of these items for $3.00! But I digress, because this post is not about my amazing CVS deals.
As I was checking out a homeless man walked into the store. My first thought was not nice. As he walked by, he grabbed a quick item and then went to the cashier next to me. After a few minutes his cashier turned to us and said, "do you know where the nearest post office is? This man needs 2 stamps". My cashier and I tried to explain the directions, to which the man replied, "I'll be taking the bus and am new to the area, so could you tell me the fastest way via bus"?My heart softened as I thought about the million degrees outside and the hour bus trip it would take to go a few miles. I reached in my purse and handed him 2 stamps to save him the hassle. He tried to pay me, but I insisted they were my "on me". No big deal.
I proceeded to continue my transaction, when the man approached me and said, "It pays to be a good Samaritan". He then handed me the box of envelopes he had purchased to mail his letters and told me that he only needed the 2 envelopes and wanted to give me the rest. I thanked him and then finished my transaction. The cashier told me my total would be 69 cents, and when I reached in my purse to pay, the cashier told me that he would cover my 69 cents courtesy of CVS.
I don't know why, but these kind acts toward me really touched my heart this morning. One simple act of charity, and I was repaid five times what I gave. I truly believe this is how love grows. The more we give, the more we receive. What a beautiful concept brought home in my neighborhood CVS on a blazing hot Monday morning.
10 comments:
Way to be the example Trixxx! This makes me feel a "little guilty" about the post I made of you on my blog and on facebook... but only a "little".
Love You!
LOVE that story. So so sweet.
That is a great story...thanks for sharing.
What a great experience...thanks for sharing. I liked seeing your deals all displayed. I just organized my closet with all my "freebie/cheapies". It's fun.
I knew there was a reason you are a RS teacher! Keep it up!
There you go, serving again! There's the evidence that you do it for people that aren't even your friends... :) You sweet sweet lady you.
that's such a great story! seriously, best thing i have heard in a while! and i'm jealous of all your deals! like, seriously jealous.
Yay! Way to be an example for all of us!
What a great story. Thanks for sharing it!
How nice that you actually had some stamps in your purse at that moment. And the story really did warm my heart. One of those examples of how much we're blessed by serving. But seriously, don't you wish your total at CVS would have been like, $40 or something?? Would it have been tacky to be like, "It's on you?! Well then, excuse me for a sec while I grab a few other things...." That wouldn't have been tacky, right?! :)
Post a Comment