The horsey runs fast,
The horsey runs faaaaaast,
Run, run, run, run away.
I love my horsey,
I love to watch him run each day,
I love my horsey,
Will he win the race today?
The horsey runs fast,
The horsey runs fast,
The horsey runs faaaaaast,
Run, run, run, run away.
Ooooh - run, run, run, run away.
Lyrics and Music by: Gregory L. Adams
*********************************
My horse racing heritage must run DEEP. And by horse racing heritage, I mean Kentucky's heritage... not really MINE. Emma has fallen in love with horse racing after watching the movie "Dreamer" with my Mom and sister. She has become obsessed and consumed. A few days after watching the show, she insisted that Greg sing the "horsey song". Because we don't know any songs about horses... Greg made one up. The impressive lyrics are what you read above. Don't even think about stealing them. We've had publishers knocking down our door for weeks.
To only fuel Emma's horse obsession, I thought it would be fun to take her to a real live, in the flesh, HORSE RACE.
Oh wait. This GORGEOUS picture belongs to the incredible "Keeneland" race track in my hometown - Lexington, Kentucky. I tried to take her while I was home, but they were closed they day we went. Boo. The one we went to was in Phoenix - "Turf Paradise". Not quite Lexington, but a tad closer to our home, and Emma is not a race track snob... YET.
It cost us $4 for the entire family on Saturday and it was worth every penny. She must have screamed "woo hoo" in her darling little high pitched voice about 768 times before the races even started. You would have thought she was walking into Disneyland. And for the price difference, we may just stick with the race track.
We got to see three races and she loved every second. "Run fast Horsey, Run Fast!" The inside building was reminiscent of trashy bowling alley meets nursing home - but the outside was virtually empty and we had our pick of seats. They even have a family lawn area complete with a playground.
I know your next question - did we gamble? No friends, we did not - but about $30,000 was spent on each 90 minute race for silly folks who want to throw their money down the toilet. Hey people - if you want to waste money, why don't you give it to me so I can buy my next baby?
We really had such a fun afternoon together as a family. And seeing Emma's face through it all was so entertaining. Now, instead of Mickey Mouse cartoons on YouTube... we watch old Kentucky Derby races. No lie. She watched the 2009 race 6 times last night and it was the first thing she requested this morning when she woke up.Maybe we have a jockey or bookie on our hands? :)
If you are just DYING to hear the tune of Greg's ingenious horse song... the video is below. Please note that Emma's pitch generally is better. I think she was distracted by her singing Mickey. We SEVERELY punish/whip/hog tie her if she is off pitch - so I think she'll learn fast that it is just not OK. :) tee hee.
12 comments:
So cute!!! Way to go Greg. Now I know who to come to when we need a clever song. I'm glad you can take her to see races close to home. Fun!!!
A girl after my heart. I am a horse fan as well. My favorites include The Black Stallion, and The Legend of the Lone Ranger. I also enjoyed Flicka for the pretty backdrop, the horses and of coarse Tim McGraw. Next time Emma comes over I'll make some popcorn and we can plot out how we are going to get our hands on very expensive horses.
I'm still partial to "No Shower on Thursdays," but that one is pretty good too. It's amazing that it was so empty. At Keeneland you can't find a seat :)
That is the cutest thing i've ever seen!
That was darling! Aliya also likes to request songs about random items for which, to my knowledge, none exist. So we do what you do--make one up. I have to say our lyrics are comparable, but your melody is way better. Although we always find ourselves saying, "Couldn't we have come up with a better rhyme? Especially now that she loves it and we're stuck singing it 5 million times a day?"
I am very impressed with both the song and also your cute little singer! She has great pitch, I wouldn't worry too much about having to whip her into great singing-pitch-shape. She's got great musical genes from both parents, afterall...
I must admit, I do work with Anna a bit on singing on pitch already when we're singing a song. Something so cute about those little voices singing! :)
I'm quite impressed with her memory. She totally knows that song. It must be sung a lot or she is a genius!
I'm amazed she's still really into that movie! hilarious.
Now your little horsey song will be in my head~ last time I looked at your blog the song that stayed in my head all day: "let's do it like they do on the discovery channel..."
thanks.
Seriously? That is too freakig cute for words!! She really does have that song down pat, I'm going with it's sung A LOT AND she's genius!
What a great song! it makes me smile. ...I think I will watch it again its so good :)
I love reading your blog! You crack me up! Just make sure you let her watch this years KY Derby! :)
Watch out Rob Gardner! There could be some serious rivarly in this friendship soon. Great song, Greg!
Post a Comment