Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We messed with Texas!

We flew to Austin this weekend to surprise Greg's brother for his birthday and to celebrate Easter where everything is bigger and better... you guessed it... Texas. This is his daughter Anna holding Emma. Anna will turn three in April and is absolutely ADORABLE! She just loved baby Emma and kept asking to "pet her" and saying "I just love this baby - can I hold her?".
Here we are cuddled up on the couch watching a movie on Easter. One night, Greg was in our bedroom bouncing and rocking Emma to sleep and Anna ran into her room, grabbed her baby doll, wrapped her up nice and tight like Emma, inspected Greg's actions to ensure that she was doing all the right moves, and proceeded to bounce and rock her baby to sleep. It was darling!
Emma did have an Easter dress - but she also had this outfit, so we actually had to change her half way through the day so she could wear both! I know, we go a bit overboard, but she's our first, so I think we are allowed.
This is our sister-in-law Gina with the two girls. Gina is expecting their second in September and we are so excited! Thanks to Gina for helping us plan the surprise and for cooking many amazing meals. Wish I could eat that well all the time! We had such a wonderful time with them and stayed up WAY to late each night just talking and laughing. How blessed we are to have such an amazing family!!
This is the t-shirt we made Emma. She was intended to wear it for the big surprise... but she had other plans and managed to poop through the shirt on the airplane. Fiasco #1 - No extra clothes in the diaper bag on the plane. So she wore her cardigan sweater with nothing underneath. CLASSY. Fiasco #2 - How in the *BLEEP* are you supposed to change a dirty diaper in those teeny tiny airplane bathrooms? Seriously people. I basically turned into a circus act to contort my body in such a way that this task could be accomplished. The flight attendants were knocking on the door because evidently I was taking too long. I say it again... seriously people.

16 comments:

Erin said...

What a fun surprise. Love Emma's t-shirt. Amen about the airplane bathroom, so annoying!

John and Laura said...

We had to buy an outfit (and diapers once, too!) for both girls at some point in their first year because we were unprepared. You should have asked the pilot if he could have made a quick stop at Target for you. Ü

She is such a cute baby. Do your lips ever get tired of kissing her sweet face??

crystal said...

I changed Callie on my lap in my own seat. Emma is way too cute:) What a fun surprise!

Heather B said...

I Hear Ya! Airplanes and diaper changes=NOT FUN. That is the cutest picture of Emma in her cool onesie! And I love seeing Greg holding Emma all bundled up. I miss the days of swaddling...when they wake up and you unwrap them and they do a big stretch...isn't it just the cutest.

Ashlee said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Jeff and I can't believe how big Anna is!! Emma is still cute as can be. Glad you had fun. See you in a week!
P.S. That's why you have husband-so that they change the poopy diapers!

2 + 2+1 = 5 said...

Oh, boy....I fear the airplane bathrooms...We will be going to Brazil this year...it won't be pretty!

Caryn said...

That is such a cool shirt you made Emma. How did you do that? Are those just iron ons? I completely understand about the bathrooms! And the whole time I keep thinking ew!

Your entries are so hilarious! I love the way you write! You should write a children's book.
p.s. I love your blog music!
p.s.s. Merrill is engaged to ... a Karen. Yes way!

Tamara said...

I'll try not to be offended that you were in Texas and didn't drop by to visit. I'll console myself that you were 3 hours away and with family. But next time...

Looks like a wonderful Easter! Hope your Austin weather was as good as our Dallas weather!

Greg and Lara said...

I would have paid a million dollars to see that circus act! If I visit you again, will you reenact?

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

What a fun trip to Texas. And you are quickly learning all the joys of traveling with a baby! But now you will be ready for your next time. One tip for the airplane - when Lauren was really little like Emma the airline attendants would sometimes put a blanket down on the floor in the back by the bathrooms so I could have a little more room to change her.
Anyway - we know Elsha and Tyler cuz they are lucky enough to live in Iowa! We were in the same ward here for 1 1/2 years (before Lauren got too old and they kicked us out of the married student ward into a "traditional" family ward with a primary). But they still only live a couple of miles away and I love it when I run into Elsha around town with her little guy! They are a great family and we are glad they are in Iowa with us.

The Adams Family said...

Well it looks like you guys had a blast! That shirt is adorable!
And thanks for all the comments! I figured I need to get better a documenting Taytum's life and keeping up with family! Hope all is well!

Gina said...

When are you coming back? We did not get enough of you. It has been a terrible week since you left. Anna and Gina have been sick and I have been grouchy and had awful days at work. We believe it is because you left. Get back here! Texas is not the same without you!

BTW - I am a little offended that there are no pics of me on your blog..... (just call me Grandma Bernie!)

Love you,
Jamie

Amber Marcum said...

OK, so everyone has already said it...but I totally laughed out loud about the airplane thing. I can just see it! Tommy Boy...anyone? Sarah's baby head slid off the airplane seat when we hit turbulance and I barely caught her by the foot! HA! I had totally forgotten, thanks for the memory. BTW, we are so jealous that you are doing the blessing there...I mean really, shouldn't you accomodate to US and come HERE to KY? :) We love you! PS I just dyed my hair brown tonight...hummm.we'll see.

Jessica said...

Hi guys! I found your blog somehow and I'm so happy to see some pictures of your darling Emma. She is so beautiful!!

azandersens said...

I'm laughing b/c I remember once when Joshua pooped through his onesie at church, and he was going totally white trash with nothing else on under his overalls. I felt like I had to explain to everyone that I normally didn't dress him like that - he just pooped. p.s. I've always used the airplane blanket on the floor in the back too, then I just toss the blanket in the trash. Airplanes and babies (airports too) weren't meant to go together, but what do you do?

Kristi said...

May I share one of my flying fiasco's? it was just connor and I and I had a change of shirts but now new bottoms. he managed to get it all over (he was 16 mths) and had to walk around the rest of the day in a white t-shirt, diaper, and shoes. So if you want to talk about classy....I can relate.:)