Sunday, September 18, 2011

Three and 3/4ths.


I've had this post on my "to-do" list for the last month. I've been keeping a list of "Little Miss Emma" stories in my spiral notebook for awhile. I'm sure that I've missed writing down hundreds, because she is always full of something to say that makes me laugh... but in no particular order, here are a few (+17) of her best (from the last 3 months).

  • She memorized an "Adventure of Winnie the Pooh" book. Not a short book. Not a book with a few words on each page... a book that is full of lots of paragraphs and details. She would even correct Greg and I when we would get ONE word wrong or out of place. It was a little nuts and I was completely amazed when she could recite 2-3 full paragraphs with absolute perfection. Some memory. Hope we can take that skill and make it useful someday.
  • Emma is so full of questions these days. What does that mean? Why did that happen? Where does that belong? Who is that and what is their name?
  • One morning she came into my bedroom about 30 seconds after Greg had gone downstairs to leave for work. She was fine until she heard the back door shut. She suddenly broke into sobs and tears and when I calmed her enough to ask about the problem, she squeaked out that she had not been able to give her Dad a kiss and hug before he left for work. I tried to console her, but there would be no consoling. After 5 minutes of screaming, I called Greg so she could talk to him, and she BEGGED him to come home to give her a hug and kiss. Greg, being the ever-soft, ever-kind Father, promptly turned around to grant her request. He later admitted to me that it had made his day. This little princess sure loves her King.
  • One day (and I'm sure the ONLY day ever) I may have lost a little patience with Emma. I was asked her to wash her hands after a bathroom trip and she refused. When I pulled the Mom card and just told her she had to, she decided that it was time to teach me a lesson. She then proceeded to give a lecture that I needed to use my "nice words" when I asked her to do something.
  • A particular Sunday she was being exceptionally difficult, when I took her out to the hallway for a light beating, I mean kind discussion, she turned her sassy little self around and said, "don't make that face at me". Guess I have a "face". I have officially arrived as a real Mom! :)
  • She LOVED So You Think You Can Dance and is also obsessed with a an animated version of the story "12 Princesses" that Rob Gardner created.
  • Everything in Emma's life is overly dramatic. Happy is always extra happy and sad is always extra sad. One morning I suggested that she take a a bite of banana between her bites of cereal (still her favorite: Honey Nut Cheerios). She said as enthusiastically as it were Christmas morning "YEAH! You're perfectly right! That makes sense! That is a perfect deal for me cereal!!"
  • My sister-in-law's sister told Emma, "I like your sassy-ness" to which Emma promptly replied (as sassy as can be and hand on hip) - "I AM NOT SASSY!"
  • She LOVES to have a "party in her bedroom" with Greg and I before bed time. It used to be Greg's job to put her to sleep, but she discovered that it was more fun with all three of us. And we may or may not sing something to the tune of "Party in the USA" when we take her up. "It's a party in the beeee-droom"!
  • When she has a stomach ache she adorably says, "I have a stummy ache". Combining stomach ache and tummy ache.
  • We sing the children's rhyme "Emma, Emma bo Bemma banana fanna fo femma" around the house. She picked up on the rhyme but not the exactness. She now just calls Greg "Daddy Bo Daddy". Super cute.
  • We were at the store, and some glitter glue was on sale. I asked her if she would like some, she replied "YES! I dreamed about them all night long!"
  • When my sister Laura started dating Tom, Emma asked her "Are you happy now that you have a boyfriend?" to which Laura responded YES! Emma responded, "I'd be happy with a boyfriend too".
  • I always tell her that I don't ever want her to grow up, because I always want her to be my little girl. One tender moment she grabbed my cheeks and responded, "Don't worry Mom, I'll still be your daughter".
  • When Little Glen was leaving to go back to Kentucky, Emma got a very sad face on and when I asked her what was wrong she responded, "This is the sad part, when we have to say goodbye".
  • She sings a really hysterical mash-up arrangement when she is playing with her dolls combining "Party in the USA and All the Single Ladies". It's awesome. Miley and Beyonce should seriously get together for this one.
  • Emma like to ask me if I know what things mean. She asked me a few weeks ago, "Mom, do you know what exhausted means? It means really, really tired."
  • We were talking about baptism one night, when she asked if she could wear her goggles when she is baptized so she doesn't get water in her eyes. I suppose that if they are white it will work, right?? :)
  • Now that she has started preschool she is VERY concerned about what she is wearing each day and how she does her hair. Many preschool mornings, the first words out of her mouth are "What outfit can I wear to school and how can I do my hair"?
  • She LOVES preschool. This has been the best thing in her little life and I really feel that her behavior has improved tremendously since beginning. It is nice for both of us to have a brief break twice a week for a few hours. She LOVES her independence and her teacher. Every night she asks if tomorrow is preschool day and when we say yes she screams YES!!.
  • One morning we were in a huge hurry and she spilled her milk all over the kitchen table. I said in exasperation, "Emma! You are driving me crazy!" She responded with a very confused look on her face - "No I'm not. I don't even know how to drive a car yet!" All I could do was laugh.
  • My Mom told Emma one night that she wanted to bring Grant home with her. Emma got very flustered and said, "NO! You can't take Grant home... then my Mom would have to pop out another baby!" Thanks for watching out for me Emma. That is definitely not much fun.
  • She is really sweet with Grant. She loves to give him food and toys and tells everyone she meets that he is her baby brother and is name is Grant. Just wait until he start talking back to her - she may not love him so much. :)
Oh Miss Emma. Our life would be so dull without you.

3 comments:

Heather B said...

I love Emmaisms!

Lana said...

Good for you for documenting all this so well! She is hilarious. I just love that girl. :)

Corinda said...

What a darling! Can't wait to get some Emma bo Bemma time soon!