Friday, August 19, 2011

Taking the bitter with the sweet.

I guess this is what life is all about.

I just never realized that the bitter and sweet could occur on the same day.

My sweet Grandma, Twilla Hancock, passed away peacefully yesterday around 4:20pm.

She has suffered with Alzheimer's for the last 2-3 years and recently was hospitalized for pneumonia. She came home from the hospital about a week ago with hospice and her final days were short and sweet.

Grandma was an incredible example of righteousness and faith to the very end. She instilled her love of music upon all of us and if she was around a talent show was happening.

I'm so grateful that I was able to strengthen our relationship when I moved to Arizona after BYU. I lived with my grandparents for 3 years as I completed my Masters Degree at ASU. My Grandma was a HUGE supporter of Greg and really pushed our relationship. Even toward the end, she woke up and responded to Greg, which had not happened for anyone else all day.

Grandma Hancock will be dearly missed, especially by my sweet Grandpa who has dutifully taken care of her during her final years.

And then comes then sweet...

My sister got engaged last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are BEYOND thrilled for her. She and Tommy are a perfect match and we are delighted to add him as an addition to our family.

It is a little unusual dealing with emotions of planning a wedding and a funeral in the same week. But, we feel very blessed and know that Grandma would be so thrilled with Laura's engagement bliss.

If you want to throw up in your mouth a bit over all their nauseous love... you can check out: tomandlaurabay.com


August 18, 2011.

What a day.

10 comments:

A mother heart said...

What an emotionally charged day! I'm glad that your sweet grandma is at peace and that you got to spend so much time with her.

And congrats to your sister!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a blessing to you to have spent so much time with your grandma these last few years. And I'm so happy for your sister. I've always thought Laura was very beautiful, inside and out. Congrats to them.

Jason and Kate said...

So sorry about your loss. I love Twila too! And I'm so excited for Laura too. How exciting! Throw up in your mouth.....lololololol. They are a little cheesy but who isn't? :)

Lana said...

I have to make fun of you for this. "August 18, 2001...what a day"

What a day 10 years ago... :)

Anyway, congrats to Laura, I'm really excited for her. And I'm sad for you guys and your Grandpa. She really was so sweet. Lots of love and hugs.

azandersens said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma and so happy for Laura. Talk about extreme emotions on both sides on one day. Prayers coming your way. :)

Leah said...

Sounds like a bit of a roller coaster of emotions! How awesome to be able to spend so much time with her in recent years. Maybe your grandma wanted over to the other side so she could really celebrate! Congrats to Laura!

Brooke said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your family is doing well. Congrats to Laura! What a day for you guys.

TP said...

I do remember you talking so genuinely about dear Twila! What a lady, what a name. :) It looks like Emma was good buds with her too. That's awesome about Laura, I checked out the proposal... ahhhhhh sweet. Congrats!

TP said...

Oh this is Sarah P by the way, signed in as TP.

brooksity said...

So happy for Laura! I can relate to the grandparent with alzheimer's thing and while it was hard to have my grandpa pass away last spring, you know that they are so much better now. At least in the case of my grandpa who had forgotten who we all were and couldn't talk or swallow in the end, you know he can do all that again. I totally remember your cute grandma visiting us at BYU and bringing us oranges from her yard and then visiting her here when you were in school and at your wedding. I am sure she is so proud of you all and how much you have accomplished! It is hard, but good at the same time right? Just know we are thinking of you!