Friday, January 15, 2010

My First Sabbatical Leave

SABBATICAL
–noun
1. Also called sabbatical leave. (in a school, college, university, etc.) a year, usually every seventh, of release from normal teaching duties granted to a professor, as for study or travel.

Yea. I'm taking one of those. But, not by choice and not after SEVEN, or FIVE, or ZERO years of teaching. And the "travel part" of the definition will be to such luxurious locations as Mesa, Chandler, or maybe even Queen Creek, although I don't want to get my hopes up.

Alas, I was hired at South Mountain Community College to teach an intro to social work course, but it was for a new program and a new class. The class did not get the registration needed to carry the class. Oh wait. The class did not get ANY students to register for the class. 25 seats out of 25 seats still available. :)

The director of my program says they will begin working on marketing the classes more aggressively. I told her I would help where I could.

Teaching at a college is still something I would really love to do, but for now, I guess I'll wait until next semester and hope for the best.

Darn.

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

I'd take your course Tammy! Do you do online courses? ;)Good luck with promoting.You will just be EXTRA prepared next semester!